Preparing some new caches

I’ve been a bit slow with posting lately.  Things are busy as we wind down to winter break at work.  Throw in being under the weather earlier this week, a power outage and an “ice day” at work, and it’s been an odd week.  I could have made up for it by caching this weekend, but I didn’t.  It’s just plain cold out.  So what have I been doing?  I’ve been preparing some new caches.I  have three caches in the works.  One is the cache for my TB race.  I purchased a large ammo can in Omaha last weekend, and it is slowly filling up with TB’s as contestants arrive.  The biggest problem will be finding a place to locate it.  I have been examining maps to find some areas to possibly place it, and I have some spots picked out to check out this week.  I want to find a location before I leave town next Sunday.

But examining those maps is also helping me find a location for another cache I am planning on hiding.  It is based off of an idea that TC put into use up in Nebraska.  The cache won’t be hard to find, but it won’t be easy to open.  To do that, you’ll have to find one of the various keys that will be traveling around Kansas City caches before being able to unlock and open the cache.  But, I’ll be nice.  The keys will be attached to TB’s, so at least you’ll know where they are at any given time.  I’ve got most of the supplies purchased.  Now I just need to put it all together and find a hiding spot.

My last cache is the simplest of the three to place.  However, I was thinking that I might wait to place it until I go out to place my locked cache.

As to last week’s visit to Nebraska, I’ll add some details to my earlier announcement of hitting 1000 caches.  At the pizza party that was my 1000th find, I received a 2007 Nebraskache coin as part of a gift exchange.  It is a nice design with a Sandhill Crane on one side.  I also received a cd of seasonal music as part of a prize for the caching contest.  The carol 8601 and I cowrote about Sioneva ended up getting third.  He won the contest with a great rendition of Jingle Bells, and got a Christmas geocoin.  Everyone thought it was funny that he had to sing for his prize until the rest of us that won had to do the same thing.  I dragged him up with me though.  🙂

Oh, and I have some sad news.  I had to archive my first cache last weekend when 8601 and I found that my Caesar’s Sudoku cache had been physically removed from it’s location.  Unwilling to go through the painstaking process of setting it all back up (the cache was about 25+ feet in the air and had a semi-elaborate method of retrieval), I decided to just plain archive it.  It did put a damper on the rest of the day, as it was one of my more thought out cache placements.  Oh well.

So, hopefully I’ll have some new hides ready to go next weekend before I leave town.  And we are running down to the final weeks as we prepare for the TB race to begin.  It’s exciting.


This entry was posted in Geocaching. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Preparing some new caches

  1. Larry739 says:

    It is tough having to archive your first cache, expecially when it one you put lots of work in to setting it up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s